Sunday 17 October 2010

I Wish ...

Kings Cliffe, Wansford

Every so often as I browse other photographer's work on the 'net, I come across some work that makes you stop and think; I wish I could achieve that standard.  And then you come across a site where you think, 'there is no way in the world I could ever achieve this standard'.  Such a site is Ross G. Photography that I stumbled upon recently.  This is more than just photography, it is stunning visual art that can only come about through vision and a level of creativity that few people possess.

It would be wonderful to be able to get into the minds of a genius like this for a day, to be able to interpret a scene the way they do, and see the possibilities of the unfolding vista - not to mention backing it up with the practical knowledge of how to actually capture the image to camera!

I've been fortunate enough to have met a highly creative photographer recently and had several opportunities to work with him.  Spike's galleries are well worth a look; he is another person who sees more than just what appears to be in front of his eyes, no matter how simple.  When I've been out on location with him, or even in the studio as he rigs up an incredible lighting system for some special shots, you can't help but think 'where do they get their inspiration from?'


This scene is a case in point.  It's the same as the stream at the head of this article, but whereas the top shot is a fairly bog standard stream-in-the-countryside picture, Spike had the vision to slow the water down and create this stunning silk effect.  Simple and easy to do, but you need the creativity to see the potential of a scene, not just a pretty stream.  Had he not suggested stopping and experimenting I'd have walked straight past it without thinking.  A stream is a stream is a  .... piece of art!

My own modelling galleries with Sian clearly show his influence when compared to my existing work that is bland and lifeless by comparison.  Whilst camera techniques and settings can be studied and learned, vision can't be taught; you have to be a natural born artist in the same way that the best actors or models are naturals.  That's where I'm going wrong in my own work, and the reason why I've now reached a point where I have doubts about my capabilities to reach any kind of artistic standard.  Some of the inept decisions I made on the calendar shoot didn't help either; nearly having a model go down with hypothermia doesn't exactly inspire confidence.  It reminded me of a great quote from the film Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with Michael Caine and Steve Martin.  "Know your limitations: you are a moron!"

'Nuff said?

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting, Martin. I do think that the technical side of photography is totally subservient to the creative side. Look at Henri Cartier Bresson, he never cropped, never post-processed, and used a rangefinder camera (albeit a Leica!) I think that photography is all about your vision and your way of seeing things...and an individual vision can be learnt. I happen to think that your photos are bloomin' great, but you are doing absolutely the right thing by looking at other people's work and getting inspired by it. Petra and I go out and take the same shots from the same viewpoint...but hers are always better composed and more interesting than mine, although she thinks the opposite! There's a lot of photographers on Flickr that really inspire me, but two that really stand out for all time (not on Flickr lol) are Faye Godwin and of course Ansell Adams. But I think you are doing really well and do indeed have a personal vision, and you are keeping an open mind and you don't think, unlike some people, that you are the best thing since sliced bread. So, as they say in Glasgow, "G'aun yerself, wha's like ye!" (You go on, there's nobody like you)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much Iain. I was feeling frustrated at seeing photos that I could have taken (or had a go at) had I actually seen beyond what was in front of my eyes and thought about the creative possibilities. Spike has told me off a few times for being too self critical, which I take on board, but still have a nagging feeling that I'm developing too slowly and missing some tricks. Don't get me wrong, I love photography when I'm out doing it, especially when I do get the flash of inspiration that is required - happened a few times on some fashion shoots. It's when I go and seek out new ideas and examine other's work that it just sometimes seems overwhelming if that makes sense. However, we reviewed our calendar shots today and I'm pleased with the concept and ideas, definitely some creative and artistic scenes that I've been aspiring to in that lot!

    I have to agree with your comment about open mindedness; I've met some of the 'I am the best' brigade - they seem to confuse the amount of money spent on equipment = better photos. All goes back to Petra's comment about long lens means .....!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails