Saturday 31 October 2009

Mirror - Signal - Panic!

It’s not often that I find myself at the wheel of a truck on a Saturday, as the company I work for has a very enlightened policy towards weekend working – the gates shut on Friday night and re-open Monday morning (except when a fly lands on the perimeter fence and sets off the whole alarm system, but I live too far away for that to concern me).

Today, however, was different – I was taking my HGV Class 1 driving test in Nottingham, using a drag-and-drawbar Scania D94. I actually took the test back on Monday, but nerves kicked in, and I drove so badly that I fitted in with everyone else in Nottingham perfectly. That, apparently, is not what they’re looking for. Things began reasonably with a passable if not perfect reverse manoeuvre, followed by a good brake test (formerly known as the emergency stop) that I wouldn’t dare attempt in the Iveco - I usually regard this procedure as 'the optional stop' in everyday life. Then out into Nottingham, where my normally competent driving skills deserted me, and without going into too much detail because it’s plain embarrassing, I proceeded to fail the test. Oh well, learn from it and move on.

So, back again today for another go. The reverse was absolutely textbook and the braking exercise spot on. Out once again into Nottingham; this time I was driving well and knew it; consequently I relaxed and that helps a great deal when approaching a tricky manoeuvre as your brain starts to think and plan, instead of shutting down and turning into blancmange. As a result, I threaded my way through the obstacles that Councils insist on dumping onto all urban roads, and had plenty of time to react to oncoming traffic. Back to the yard, and the uncouple / re-couple manoeuvre. I’ve never had an issue with this before, even on my last test I was offered the opportunity to try it despite having already failed – naturally I took it, as it’s all good practise. Today the uncoupling went fine, but when I recoupled, I didn’t hit the trailer hard enough to lock the pin in. No problem, a second attempt is permitted. But, although I re-did all my checks, I forgot the most important one – don’t forget to re-set the locking pin! So just as I prepared to reverse back down again, the examiner had to call a halt - otherwise a lot of damage would be caused to the drawbar, and probably my head when my instructor found out what I'd done to his truck.

Well, I felt like a right proper Charlie, now that I’ve had time to think up some suitable words for publication. It just goes to show how the silliest little thing, right at the end of the test, can bring you crashing down. So what’s that they say about the third time …? Watch this space.

The lads at work reckon I need a bit more practise, and have sourced me a training vehicle for next week:


First one to the Truckstop buys breakfast!


2 comments:

  1. Hard Luck, Martin. As every HGV driver knows, it is very difficult and most guys have two or three attempts. I only passed mine (all those decades ago when we had tumbrils and oxen) because I had to drive as my "instructor" was asleep or drunk or both, so I had plenty of practice. My Dad (a police HGV instructor) and I made a balls up once of coupling the trailer up...I didn't ram the unit in hard enough, we were having a row with the yard foreman and almost drove off and put the trailer on the floor. I still break out in a sweat thinking of that. So don't be hard on yourself, you will undoubtedly do it, you are a very competent and very experienced driver. Best of luck for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comments Iain, I bet the reversing was tricky with those oxen getting the way! The good thing is, I'll never do this again either in a test or on the road - as you say, it sticks with you and sets up for next time. A haulage company near to us had a driver uncouple a loaded tautliner in their yard, without putting the trailer legs down. oops. Glad that wasn't me, Guv!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails