Saturday 19 December 2009

Grumpy's Peak


Since I obtained my class 1 licence recently, I’ve been jumping in and out of different vehicles in our fleet like a jack-in-the-box on Ecstasy.  My nominated Actros is up for a service and a couple of minor repairs to the Suzies after a particularly adventurous reverse shunt at Peterborough – let us say no more about that.  I then spent a day in our Scania, which has a four-over-four manual gearbox, and this is now very familiar to me after training and taking the test – well, all five tests, let’s be fair – in a similar vehicle.  For a trip to Rochdale, however, I got one of our pair of Volvo FM trucks.  These are fully automatic (although with the option of a manual over ride if needed, which it wasn’t).  It’s most unusual getting into an auto lorry after always having driven manuals of one variety or another, and for the first few miles I kept going for the non-existent clutch.  Once into the swing of things, the Volvo pretty much drives itself and I was very happy with it.



The main issue to contend with in any of our trucks is the aforementioned peak.  Basically, it’s like a toddler – take your eye off it for a second, and it goes and does something silly.  This picture shows what happens as you go round a bend:



Normally, when rounding a tight bend, the driver will be checking mirrors, ahead, mirrors, ahead etc - to ensure that the trailer is clearing the kerb / pedestrian island / bollards / cyclists cutting up the inside on a suicide mission (for which the driver will get the blame) / impatient cars trying to cut in while muttering, “bloody truck drivers taking up all the road …” and any manner of roadside decorations dumped by the Council for no apparent reason.  The same applies with a transporter, but now you’re also looking out the front and up, to see what the peak is doing.  It’s un-natural, and really takes a bit of getting used to.  All good fun.

I mentioned recently in my modelling blog that my Iveco has been rewarded for some good performances lately by receiving the new company livery.  As I took it up to Harrogate this week, I used the opportunity to take a couple of pictures.  With the roads constantly wet and mucky in winter, it hasn’t taken long for the truck look a bit dishevelled, unfortunately, but I still think that the new vinyls look pretty good.  Just glad that I modelled it in the somewhat easier early style – what a narrow escape!


2 comments:

  1. Glad you are enjoying the Volvo. I have never properly driven an automatic (truck), I think I would quite like it. The Volvo sounds good, it will have plenty of power. I am still smarting from the handful of miles I did in the MAN automatic, which drove like a wilful child.lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autos take some getting used to, but after a few miles they feel as if you've driven them forever. I find they respond far better when loaded than empty, much smoother changes and just when you'd expect a change of gear. The Volvo is an extremely responsive truck and I enjoy driving it. The Actros, on the other hand, is more like a teenage daughter. Looks great but does what it wants, when it wants to, and without any prior warning. Handle with caution!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails