Monday 13 July 2009

Radio Ga -Ga

A day off work today, as I’m Poland bound in the wee small hours of tomorrow morning. I’m packed – I think – and used today to catch up on all the nitty-gritty and those bits and bobs I’ve been thinking about doing – then not doing, and carefully putting to one side to think about possibly doing again. One job was my follow up to Halfords after my abortive visit last weekend (Ice Cold in Essex) to review the stereo situation. During the week Halfords had, to their credit, called me as promised to say that the elusive bit I require isn’t actually manufactured, but if you’re at a loose end then pop down and we’ll take a look and see if there’s another way around this. Like buying a new car.

So off I went to town, listening to the fizz, pop and crackle that passes for Radio 2 reception in the East Midlands. The automotive audio technologist had called in sick, and although they’d tried to call me and say ‘don’t bother coming,’ the call was to my work phone, which was switched off. Fair enough. As I was there anyway, the helpful Manager took a look, and the conclusion arrived at was that whilst there is no bit that will do what it is needed to do (and I don’t know what this bit is supposed to do, and if I ask, I’m going to look like a right eejit. So I nod sagely when they talk about audio attenuators, phono preamps, frequency response bass roll-off, and 20hz kilowatt mega boost super woof woof timer switches and chicken tikka). As a result, I have now discovered that there is another bit that costs £17.99 (at last, something I understand. Money) and this might do a different job but arrive at much the same conclusion. The only way to find out is to order it (which I did) and they’ll ring me when it arrives. Then it’s another schlep to town in order to see if the job can be done in a different way, which involves leaving the defunct CD player in situ but removing the fuel tank. Or something.

Ah, now it all makes perfect sense.

I need a break from all this, my head is spinning. So it’s off to Krakow for a short break, which should be interesting. Wonder if they sell stereos out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails