Saturday 27 June 2009

Kills All Known Bugs

Friday was a quiet day; not much on except a short trip to Worksop to collect four trade cars, including a good old fashioned Mini – a real Leyland Mini, not one of those ‘new and improved’ pretend Minis beloved by estate agents.


As I was in no rush, returned via the Ollerton country route so as to find a nice spot for lunch before trundling back to the yard. Even so, it was only about 1pm, and with nothing else to do, I decided to wash the truck.
Now, our facilities are state of the art, and our truckwash consists of a garden hose without a nozzle, a cold tap, a bucket and long handled broom. But it was a hot and humid day (again), so mucking about with a hose was no hardship. Jacko saw what I was up to, and as he was equally at a loose end, came to help.
At first Jacko sprayed the water, and I tackled the brush. The squashed flies, bugs and assorted wildlife that have glued themselves to the cab and windscreen proved impervious to this treatment, so some thought was needed. I used to wonder why these annoying insects don’t get out of the way for fast moving traffic, but then I realised that trucks are invisible to Audi drivers as well, so either they’re blind or just plain stupid. That applies to the insects, too. A bottle of Fairy Liquid was chucked into the bucket, and frothed up nicely. It made little difference to cleaning the lorry; however, I’ve never had such soft hands. An upgrade was required. In the cleaner’s cupboard we found a bottle with an unidentified pinkish liquid in it. It smelt like one of those kitchen / bathroom cleaners – I’m no expert – so in it went. This was adept at removing general dirt and road dust from the body, but useless when it came back to insect heaven and the oil stains. So, back to the cupboard, and a product called Cillit Bang. No idea what it does, but when I picked it up I thought it said ‘Clit Bang’ and I just had to give it a go. I don’t often get the chance to clit bang these days, and an opportunity to do so at work was not be missed.

Lorries - Kill all known bugs. Dead.

Well, I have to say that this stuff is an excellent lorry cleaner. By climbing onto the roof of the cab, I could pour it neat down the windscreen, allowing Jacko to give it a good scrub. The bugs just lifted off. Further tests also discovered that it shifts oil stains from the hydraulic pipes and ground in brake dust from the wheels. Half the bottle went into the bucket, and the rest of the truck was brought back to its long vanished glory. Hopefully there are no side effects, and the stuff won’t eat through the paint – I don’t want to return to bare metal on Monday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails