Wednesday 24 June 2009

Lorry, 'cross the Mersey



Had a pleasant day out to Liverpool, which isn’t something that everyone can say. Deliver 5 brand new Kia Crapeos and bring back any 5 dogs that would start – and finding 5 cars in Liverpool that start is quite an achievement in itself. Loading takes place on the docks, which makes a nice change, because here, for once, is loads of space to do things like park up. It is also nice to have a spot of lunch with a sea view, so to speak, and this is the vista from my riverside terrace in ‘Restaurant Iveco’.


The warship is a long withdrawn frigate, HMS Plymouth, laid up because we don’t do anything pointless like invade other countries on the whim of an illiterate American President who thinks he’s in a John Wayne film. Because that would just be silly, now, wouldn’t it? So, before it gets broken up (the ship, not George Bush - ooh, now there's a thought .....) I took some pictures for posterity.

I was somewhat surprised to see that Emma from the H&S Wehrmacht, hasn’t been here – just look at that deep harbour full of deep water! And not a stick of 8 foot high palisade fencing in sight. It was very difficult driving down the exposed quayside without lots of health and safety notices, cordons and railings to keep me right. I had to rely entirely on my long dormant commonsense to understand that driving on water could be mildly dangerous and impractical, although I’m pleased to say that in strictly scientific tests, my hi-viz jacket floated beautifully – probably on it’s way to Ireland by now, where I hope it will be well received. Mind you, writing ‘If found, please return to Romania,’ might see it thrown on a fire to dry out first.

My health and safety file doesn’t float, and in the interests of health and safety, I couldn’t jump in to retrieve it. I can’t walk on water; that’s the preserve of health and safety officials – so they can go and get the bloody thing back.

Shortly after commencing his stag night party piece,
Jesus had to return to the shore for his high-visibility jacket.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails