Tuesday 23 June 2009

The Road to Hull - Well, Nearly

As it was a fairly quiet day at work, I was despatched up to Beverley in East Yorkshire to the RCB dealers to collect some trade cars. This is a pleasant run, as it involves crossing the Humber Bridge. No matter how may times I see this bridge, I always find it an amazing piece of engineering, (at my age I don’t get out much), and the view on a clear day is fantastic. Today was crystal clear, and the tide was at low ebb so the Humber looked as still as a sheet of glass. Unfortunately the local constabulary take a dim view of HGV drivers parking up to take pictures, so I carried on to the toll booths to pay the outrageous £10.90 that they charge a rigid lorry to cross. The bridge is superb – but not that superb. Still, the company was paying, so never mind. As I couldn’t stop for pictures, I took this one on a previous visit when I travelled by car and could visit the viewing point. It was a much colder and windy day on that occasion!



North of the Humber the trip to Beverley is slow, due to the need for a roundabout every 25 yards. I don’t quite know what the need for a roundabout every 25 yards could possibly be; probably something to do with left over Council Tax that must be wasted before the end of the fiscal year. That’s what they do in Grantham, so I assume Beverley isn’t that much different.

Upon arriving at RCB, I was somewhat surprised to see that it was no longer RCB. The forecourt and showroom were abandoned, and a brand new 8 foot high palisade fence surrounded the complex. Oh goody, I like a challenge. Fortunately the company had had the foresight to erect a ‘We have moved’ sign – pity they didn’t have the foresight to telephone their transportation company and tell us, though. The address was given, so I made a mental note and carried on until I could stop in a layby and look it up. Everything seemed straightforward enough, it was a simple matter of finding somewhere to turnaround and backtrack past the showroom formerly known as RCB. The new site was nearby on an industrial estate. I found it easily enough, and was surprised to find that it was HGV friendly – space to turnaround, and space to load up. Is it Christmas already?

The cars were all ready for loading – okay, it is definitely Christmas – and they all started on the key with no jumpstarts, kicking or swearing required. So it’s Christmas, New Year and National Goldfish Memorial Day all rolled in one. So, no need to rush, and I was even able to stop off for a spot of lunch on the way back, after admiring the Humber Bridge for a second (expensive) time in one day. Everyday should be like this.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, yeah the main road from the Birdge does have rather a lot of roundabouts! Best thing to do, if your vehicle can fit, is to come of the main roads and use all the little lanes - great fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails